Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Cartoon - Government in Action


Ah, Government in action. How little this dynamic changes. Here is a little snippet of a cartoon done back in about 1988 or so -- more apt for today than ever, regrettably so. Back in the late 80s, while studying at SFSU, I worked for "The Gate", a student newspaper financed by the Associated Students of San Francisco State University. We were the alternative to the monolithic "official" student newspaper from the Journalism Department called something like "The Gator", or whatever it was -- I honestly can't remember. "The Gate" was this bold revolt from the established student newspaper, a revolt that was largely successful, and at the same time largely ignored by most of the 28,000 commuter students at the school who could care less. What I mean is, I think they ignored both papers. So I was "on staff" (which means I worked absolutely for free) as the cartoonist/ illustrator for almost 2 and a half years and I must say, it was a blast. At the time, J.P. Frary, the co-editor, said the work I did there could easily be my resume into the newspaper business, but I didn't believe him, because I was having so much fun. CM Evans Cartoons

No comments: